Thursday 17 September 2009

Ripping better quality CDs in Ubuntu


No, I don't mean only recording classical music...

I use sound juicer to rip my CDs into Ogg Vorbis format.

> sudo apt-get install sound-juicer

However, I'm a bit fussy how I wanted to record them - the default bitrate is 160kbps and I wanted a tad more detail


To create a profile that will record at higher quality, go into Sound Juicer and select Edit..Preferences. 
At the bottom of the dialog there's an Output format. It's probably showing "CD Quality, lossy (.ogg type)". And a button marked "Edit profiles". Click that. 

Select the "CD Quality, lossy" profile and click Edit. Copy the GStreamer pipeline value, as this is what you're going to modify in your new profile. Mine was this:
audio/x-raw-float,rate=44100,channels=2 ! vorbisenc name=enc quality=0.5 ! oggmux

See the quality setting of 0.5?The quality setting is a value from 0.1 .. 1. 0.5 represents a bitrate of 160kbps. I wanted 192kbps, which is 0.6. So back in the Edit GNOME Audio Profiles dialog, cick New and enter this line for the GStreamer pipeline:
audio/x-raw-float,rate=44100,channels=2 ! vorbisenc name=enc quality=0.6 ! oggmux
and call the profile "CD Quality, better"

2 comments:

  1. I am curious. What do you play the ogg files on. Ideally, I would use ogg (or FLAC). But in the real world, I have not found a player that will play ogg files.

    Free formats are catching on slowly, but MP3 is still the default format for almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sandisk Sansa's use ogg and flac and the more popular ones.

    ReplyDelete